MEAL PLAN - Thursday and Friday of Week Two

Way too tired last night to post about Thursday, so today's blog is two for the price of one!  I know. You can't contain yourself.  Let's get to it, shall we?

THURSDAY'S MENU: Shrimp Tacos with Black Beans

I'll post a few pictures, but since Evie couldn't be around this one (spitting frying oil and all that), I recognize Mark and I just aren't as cute, so we'll keep it to a minimum.  That, and this was so far my least favorite meal.  I enjoyed the black beans, we all do in this house, but corn tortillas are not on the favored list.  I also liked the idea of the cornmeal crusted shrimp, but the taste was bland, bland, bland.  I'm always up for a way to include cilantro, but I think something a little more fresh, like sauteed shrimp would have worked better for this.  We would have been happier skipping this recipe and going to El Rodeo for shrimp fajitas.





FRIDAY'S MENU: Pasta with Sausage and Tomatoes

You had me at pasta.  Seriously though, this was GOOD.  Pretty darn easy too.  The hardest part all night was cleaning the behemoth Al Clad Multi-Pot (thanks again Honey).  Not a lot for my sous chef to help with tonight either.  I guess I could have had her break up the tomatoes, but I had enough of a mess with just me doing it.

Mark got a new toy today in the mail, so I lost BOTH of my helpers. (He is by the way, still raving about the darn thing as I sit here and type 3 hours later.  That and rambling about non-linear equations or something or other.)


This is me pouting about it.


Enough of that.  I've never made sauce this way, it turned out really well though, so I might try it again.  We do have an entire freezer full of tomato sauce from our garden to experiment with all winter, but no canned whole tomatoes. This way was pretty darn easy, and no fuss.  A really cool way for a novice to make homemade "gravy" for guests. 


The sausages I got were very sage-y, a perfect compliment to this dish.  I'm very thankful I have a dual oven, but I suppose I could have cooked them in the same one since they were all destined for the same pot.


My dear Hubby is not a fan of cooked spinach, but the fact that the raw stuff goes in with the drained pasta, 1/4 cup cooking water, sausage, and tomato right before serving and therefore keeps some of the crunch saved it for him.  Personally, I could have done without it in the dish and, as Mark suggested, had a side salad with this meal. I also drizzled some EVOO prior to serving, I think that made a difference too.  Well, that and the shredded parm.  This one will most definitely be repeated in this house!



Comments

Popular Posts