Sewing Chronicles

Over the past 8 years, I've sewed.  The first four, rather sporadically, the last four - pretty regularly.  Of course, that 3 1/2 year old munchkin has a lot to do with it.  At the risk of sounding egotistical, I've gotten pretty darn good.  I've received compliments on items I'm wearing or Evie's wearing that I made, and those giving it did not know it was of the homemade variety.  I even made a bassinet for the Bitty Baby, quilted fabric, boning, ruffles, and all.

I have only been defeated by one type of sewing.  The Costumes.  Seriously.  I know people who say they'll sew costumes only, but won't go for any of the "tough stuff" like making clothes for themselves or their children.  I do not understand them.  Clothing might be challenging from time to time, but never the hair pulling, swearing, and yes, even crying trying to sew a stupid costume elicits from yours truly. Two years ago I started out to make Evie a bunny costume.  I got about 1/4 of the way in and called in my Aunt who's AMAZING with sewing, crocheting, knitting...you name it.  Of course, with her, my Mom's, and my work it came out adorable.  Like the good Mom/Aunts they are, I still ended up doing it, with lessons learned and help given.  But I still got to say I made it.

Fast forward to now.  I took on a gold brocade fabric to make Evie a "Princess Dress."  She did not ask for a Princess Dress.  I thought we had been invited to a Princess Brunch and since there are no Princess type outfits in this house, well, to JoAnn Fabrics I went.  The Princess Brunch turned into a breakfast party, no theme.  But, I had begun the work, so Gold Princess Dress for Halloween it is!  To appease my cool kid, I must amend that statement to say "Pirate Princess Dress."  Love her.  But, I digress...even further.  SO, I've been working on and off on this thing and I'm done now.  The dress is not finished, but I'm DONE.  D. O. N. E.   The fabric frays everywhere, the petticoat netting is longer than my sewing room, and the darn thread keeps breaking.  Ever since I've started this whole running thing, I have a new mantra which goes something like "Oh heck no, I'm FINISHING this" Applies to a lot.  It also has stronger language when I'm muttering it to myself.

We all know what's really going to happen here, right?  As soon as I'm done with this blog, I'm calling my Mommy.  And my Aunt.  Then, after the costume is done, I'm going back to dresses, skirts, Bitty Baby Clothing, matching outfits for Evie and Bitty Baby, PJs for the family....but NO COSTUMES.

Comments

Popular Posts