Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin

I made a realization tonight.  Well, to be more accurate, I made a realization about a realization/decision.  Let me back up.  About two years ago I had to fire a volunteer.  Yes, you can do that.  However, I did it rather poorly.  It was awful.  The main problem was I didn't deal with the issues as they arose, so in the end, the firing was one of the worst professional moments of my life.  After that, I told myself from here on out, I'd make the tough decisions and deal with the issues in the beginning, as they showed themselves.  I've stuck to that, to the point of having to give myself pep talks reminding me of this decision/realization.  I was/am so proud of myself, can't you tell!

Fast forward to tonight.  As previously stated, we read to Evie every night.  Tonight her selections were all Little Golden Books (love those)  First was Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree.  Second, Animals at the Zoo, and finally, The Three Little Pigs (1933 Disney version).  We get to the final story, and as I am reading I recognize that the "realization" I made two years ago was actually a lesson I learned when I was probably about Evie's age.  What's that book?  Everything I ever needed to know I learned in Kindergarten?  4 years undergrad, 3 years graduate, I hold an MS in Management...and apparently all I needed to effectively manage was to remember the oldest pig's motto of hard work paying off.  Yeah, yeah, yeah...build the house of bricks, no wolf can get in.  There's also the children's story about an ant and a cricket, one prepares for the coming winter, one doesn't  I think we all know what happens to the lazy one.  But what about the dense 30 something?  I learned from the Three Little Pigs throughout my life: straighten up after you play, makes for lighter cleaning later; study every day so you don't have to cram in later and fail the test; clean as you go while cooking; etc.  But, as I grew older and tried to be a "grown-up", I forgot the basics.  So, once again, thank you to my Little Peanut for reminding me of the important lessons in life.

Comments

Popular Posts