Oh the Hypocrisy

hypocrisy

noun,  hy·poc·ri·sy \hi-ˈpä-krə-sē also hī-\: the behavior of people who do things that they tell other people not to do :behavior that does not agree with what someone claims to believe or feel


I've been thinking about hypocrisy for awhile now. Partly due to it being an election year, partly due to the world around me, and partly due - in a more light hearted way - comments made to me by friends. You see, I operate in a "what you see is what you get" kind of way, but recognize that online, much of what I post is either staged, or something my adorable daughter has done (I may be a little biased on that last statement, but seriously, I can't get enough of what that little brain comes up with and shares with us), or is only one section of a moment. I'll post a picture of a vegan bowl we had for dinner (that was DELICIOUS by the way), but maybe not post the Pizza Hut delivery that came the next night for the daughter as we headed out to a farm-to-table restaurant where I'll Instagram a few pictures during the evening. In my defense, the Pizza Hut arrived after we had left...


Healthy dinner that turned out great (and has also been made for lunches). Link above, click "vegan bowl"


At any rate, I try not to post or share things to make anyone feel bad, least of all me. Yes, I'm "human" as one friend said when she heard about the take-out lunch Evie and I shared recently. No, I don't get everything right, and as posted here and on social media, some dinners I make are real stinkers. I blog and share those (successful) recipes and pictures to help show others that real people can eat healthy meals. Not to make anyone feel bad or less. Goodness, I'm about "the worst" as one friend likes to text to me...I'm far from perfect, but man do I get excited when I've cooked something healthy my family likes! I'm also more than happy to be the one testing a recipe before sharing it. I have the good fortune to have a family who is also willing to try out these recipes and give me (brutally) honest feedback.


Meal that didn't go well. Turns out, I can't cook ribs to save my life.


On a more serious note, my sister is going through some real health issues right now, most of which seems to be pointing to a need for a real diet overhaul (function tests are showing Celiac, among other issues, at this point). This made me REALLY sit up and take a look at what we eat. I *said* I was going to eat healthy and cut out certain things...but did I do that successfully since the beginning of the year? Or was I being a, gasp, HYPOCRITE?! I can say that for the past month, I've been a lot better, and our meal plans have reflected those choices. Of course, it certainly helps keep you honest when you also host friends and family for meals and they want to eat healthy too! 

The old blog has been on quite a hiatus. I would start posts or save pictures to share in a post, but then never finished them to be published. Maybe this is what my blog was waiting to come back to, a revamped version of itself...who knows. But know this, it is NEVER my intention to be a hypocrite. I just don't want to blog a picture of me at 10pm eating an entire bag of Kettle Brand Salt and Vinegar chips. No one wants to see that. Well, maybe you do, but my hands were too messy to take the selfie. 

Evening meal planning. Note the offending bag of chips.

So, "watch this space" as it (and I) re-reinvents what it is about, and starts sharing even more whole-food, healthy, and yummy recipes. A few meal plans might make their way back on here as well. I also promise to try to call myself out more, and in the meantime, take stock of yourself. How is your life going? Are you taking time for you? Are you eating as healthy as possible? Where could you make better choices?

Let's make a promise, I'll find, try, and blog recipes with honest opinions...and if you try them yourself, let me know how they turned out! I will also document fails, bad choices, etc. in order to be more transparent (goodness I hated that word when I was in the corporate world) for all of you. See you soon! 

Comments

Popular Posts