Old school twice-baked potatoes and other real food musings

Happy New Year from Cookin' Mama!  Resolution #3 of 3 was to keep up with the recipe blog.  In that spirit, here are some musings + a newly tried recipe at our home!  It was a success and I hope it will be for you.

The title of this post is a bit of a misnomer in that I really only baked the potatoes once. This recipe is pretty simple though, and tasty!  I adapted it from the Fannie Farmer cookbook, which, even with all of my fancy new cookbooks, is still my favorite kitchen reference book.  It was originally published in the late 1800s as the Boston School Cook Book.  My Mama (the original cookin mama who taught all day yet always had a cooked meal on the table each night) had a Fannie Farmer at the ready at all times as well. I use it as a reference for many things, especially when I want to go "old school" which in today's terminology would be "real food."

Speaking of real food...my Mama got me the 100 Days of Real Food Cookbook as a Christmas present. I kind of love that this has become a new tradition...a cookbook from my Mama to Cookin Mama each year. I sat today (the day after Christmas) and read through the first part of the book. A lot of the items are things we're already doing. BUT (big but) there were a lot of reminders of what we SHOULD be doing!! Consequently, I immediately felt the need to clean up our eating.  We made the decision mid-2015 to only consume locally, humanely raised meat, so we only use our North Mountain Pastures meat when wanting those types of meals.  It comes to us frozen, so when I didn't thaw/plan well, or, as I like to call it: Sudden Pantry Recipe Night, we have to go vegetarian.  Pantry Recipe means I go through the left over ingredients from other meals plus whatever is in the pantry, and I make dinner.  Thankfully, this evening we had a lot of fresh ingredients and some good things left in the dairy drawer! It doesn't say so in the ingredient list below, but all items were purchased as organic/pasture raise/etc. where possible.  (I can see some of you now making comments about "pasture raised potatoes.")

I only had little yukon gold potatoes left, but with a salad, it made a pleasant dinner.  I was gifted a homemade ranch dressing mix for Christmas by an awesome co-worker, and I had leftover buttermilk from another recipe, so we had a treat for the salad dressing!  The potatoes came together quickly, aside from the baking time, it could be a good weeknight dinner on the fly.  A little high on the fat content, but at least it was mostly real food ingredients!

Twice-Baked Potatoes

adapted from Fannie Farmer

Yukon Gold Potatoes (depending on size, one per person)
Fresh Chives, chopped
Fresh Parsley, chopped
Unsalted Butter
Cream Cheese

Heat oven to 450°.  Scrub potatoes, dry, cover with olive oil and himalayan salt.  Bake until done. Usually 1 hour for large, 45 for smaller.  Test by piercing with a fork or knife.   Take from oven and allow to cool slightly.  In the meantime, in the bowl of a stand mixer, add 2-4 tablespoons cream or milk per potato, 1 oz cream cheese per potato, and 2-4 tablespoons unsalted butter to taste.  Cut open potatoes, scoop out flesh.  Add to mixture in stand mixer, beat until semi-smooth.  Add in chopped fresh herbs, stir until evenly distributed.  Scoop mixture back into potato, place back in oven briefly to re-warm. I had turned off my oven, but left it closed, it worked out very well to reheat while I threw together the salad.

All of us enjoyed the stuffed baked potato, and the salad was good...it could have used some nuts and dried fruit, but the spices in the buttermilk really made a great dressing!


Comments

Popular Posts