Kimchi Fried Rice



It sounds fancy, but it's not difficult...don't let this one scare you! Kimchi fried rice is actually a fabulous meal (or side dish, depending) for during the week. Really! The only things you really need to have are: leftover rice (two-three days out is best), kimchi (Korean marinated cabbage - found in the produce section, the jars are marked mild or hot), eggs, tamari (soy sauce). For the best results, having toasted sesame oil, seeds, onion, and carrots are a must. The dish comes together in less than one half hour, throw in a salad, and you have dinner!

In fact, this meal comes from Curtis Stone's What's for Dinner? This is a great cookbook to have, both for tasty meals and also for busy cooks. Some of them look a little more daunting than others, and those I plan to try when I have more time...just to see if I could pull it off during the week, say in the mad rush before choir practice or Brownies.  Back to the fried rice. I love putting fried rice on the week's menu, and this recipe is my favorite I've found for such a meal. All I have to do is to remember to cook up a big vat of brown rice on Saturday or Sunday. Once it's cooked, I cool it, and throw it in the refrigerator until I need it!

Sundays are usually my big cooking days, we try to have a big Sunday dinner after church, then turn those leftovers into either more meals or lunches. I also bake Evie's "cookies" and anything else I'll need ahead of time during the week. Makes me less nuts when Monday hits. Making a pot of brown rice usually takes anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour, depending on the type and how much you're making.  

Kimchi Fried Rice

adapted from Whats for Dinner? ©2013 Curtis Stone

6 tablespoons unrefined sesame oil (or canola oil)
4 large eggs, beaten
4 cups 2-3 day old cooked brown rice
1 onion, diced
3-4 carrots, diced
1 1/2 cup drained and chopped kimchi
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
toasted sesame seeds
Sriracha or other hot sauce for serving

Heat 2 tablespoons of the unrefined sesame oil (do NOT use the toasted sesame oil) over medium heat, then add beaten eggs.  Stir eggs around for about 30 seconds, then remove to a plate.

Add to the pan the remaining 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) of unrefined sesame oil.  Once heated, add the diced onions and sautĂ© for one minute.  Add the cooked rice, stir to combine with onions, and then leave it be for 3 minutes.  After three minutes, stir the rice around again, and add the diced carrots.  Cook for 2 minutes, then add the kimchi, soy sauce, and toasted sesame oil.  Finally, stir back in the eggs until fully incorporated  Cook until all is heated through.  

Spoon into bowls, top with sesame seeds, chopped scallions, and serve with hot sauce at the table.  My preference is Sambal Oelek, the husband prefers Sriracha.   Enjoy!





Comments

Joy Trout said…
I'm saving this one for later. Looks delish :) I admire your dedication to your blog. I gave up after only 3 posts.

Have you considered an electronic pressure cooker? Makes doing this rice (and just about everything else ) easy peasy
Joy Trout said…
I'm saving this one for later. Looks delish :) I admire your dedication to your blog. I gave up after only 3 posts.

Have you considered an electronic pressure cooker? Makes doing this rice (and just about everything else ) easy peasy

Popular Posts