Curried butternut squash and brown rice




In a continued effort to pack healthy, veggie or, better yet, vegan lunches, I give you curried butternut squash with brown rice and chickpeas. Thank you to Pinterest and Naturally Ella blog for the idea! I had a butternut squash laying around as a gift from our neighbor's CSA. We always have brown rice in the pantry, and I've been buying chickpeas to make hummus on a regular basis. Canned tomatoes are usually to be found around here too...so, this was also a budget friendly recipe on top of being (at least sounding) delicious. The recipe made enough for four lunches, so next time I might double it...one butternut squash probably gives you enough for two, maybe three of these recipes.  



I know I've said this before, but, just like my Mother says, if I say I'm not hungry, just start sautéing onions in a fat, and I'll change my mind. The onions and garlic in the olive oil smelled sooooo good right away!  


Drop in the butternut squash for a bit, let it start to soften.


After adding in the rice and curry, the smell in the kitchen was amazing. Toasting your spices before adding liquid intensifies and emboldens their flavor.


The tomatoes and their juices along with the chick peas begins the process of cooking the rice, but there isn't enough fluid in just the tomatoes, so...


Adding in the vegetable stock, with some salt, finishes off the active cooking. Just throw the lid on, and wait until the rice is done!


Curried Butternut Squash with Brown Rice and Chickpeas

Ingredients 
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 1/2 cups butternut squash (1/2 inch dice)
1 1/2 tbsp curry powder (we used 1 tbsp regular curry, 1/2 tbsp hot curry)
1/2 cup brown rice
1 can (15oz) diced tomatoes, with juices
1/2 cup rinsed and drained chick peas
Pinch or more of kosher salt, to taste
1 1/2 cup vegetable broth


Start with olive oil in your sauté pan over medium-high heat.  Once heated, add in the onion and garlic.  Cook for two-three minutes, until the onion becomes translucent.  Add the butternut squash, cook for another two-three minutes.  Add in the brown rice, and the curry powder, toast for a few minutes.  Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, and a few pinches of kosher salt.  Stir well, cook until heated through.  Pour in vegetable broth, stir well, bring to a boil.  Lower heat, cover, and cook until rice is done, about 45 minutes. Enjoy!  I plan on bringing a little dollop of greek yogurt to add to mine for my lunch, let me know what you do with yours! 



Our lunches for the beginning of the week!




Comments

Popular Posts