Guacamole, with the cutest sous chef EVER.


There are many things I love about cooking.  While I may not be good enough to do it for a living, I love the living we do together as a family through cooking.  I love my daughter tying on her apron to help.  I love that all of us pitch in, that Daddy enjoys it as much as Mama.  We have, in the past month, managed to build a meal plan for each week and stick to it...and stick to a budget.  Each week gets better, and sometimes tastier!  This week is awesome because it features Mark's South American beans.  I'm going to have to update that or make a new blog...he got a recipe from a friend from Mexico to make the beans even better.  At any rate, he sometimes makes an extra large batch and freezes some...this week we took some out of the freezer and made yummies!  Talk about a budget friendly week!

Monday: Beans and Rice Bowl
Tuesday: Taco night (or, for Lego fans: TACO TUESDAY!)
Wednesday: lucky to be asked to dine at friends' homes
Thursday: leftovers - family pick, rice bowl or taco ... or both!
Friday: Pizza night


Daddy and daughter putting together their soft tacos.  Decisions....decisions...


Tonight's recipe is simple, it came with our Vitamix (best. investment. ever.), and while I'm sure we could augment/make better/make our own, I'm just happy to share pictures of my daughter helping to make it!

Vitamix Guacamole

There is an official Vitamix recipe here, but ours was a bit different.  Same ingredient list, but prepared in stages and on variable speed 2 only.

  • 1 medium Roma tomato, halved or 3/4 cup chopped
  • 1/2 cup (10 g) fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1/4 cup (40 g) chopped red onion
  • 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted
Put salt, lemon juice, cilantro, 2 avocados, and 1/3 of the tomato in the Vitamix.  Run on variable speed 2 for 20 seconds, tamp down.  Add in remaining tomato and avocado, run again 20 seconds at variable 2.

We added more salt and some extra cut up tomato after, just stirring it in.  It would be awesome with some jalapeno as well.

The kiddo's jobs were juicing the lemon, measuring the juice, and placing in the Vitamix.  She also scooped out the avocado (Mama cut and removed the pit).  I love the smell of cilantro on my fingers, but I could have had her pull the leaves as well.  Lots of steps kids can help with this dish.  Added bonus?  She licked some avocado from her fingers and said "oh!  I didn't realize I like this!" 



Evie doing her best "chef's pose" from Chopped

I really really wished we had tortilla chips in the house to eat this with.  Seriously, I could have just taken a spoon and eaten this for dinner.  Instead, I contented myself with slathering it on my little flour tortilla and add a bit of chicken.  Nom.  Thanks to the Peanut for her excellent sous cheffing and help!



Comments

Popular Posts