Thai Fish Chowder, Mama-style


 

Many of you know we've made a commitment in this house to meal plan.  We did this for a number of reasons.  One, budgetary.  Two, to be less wasteful.  If all the food purchased is purchased for a reason and has a place on the plan, then it will be eaten.  Third, and most important, for our health.  Now, do not get me wrong.  We are NOT the 100 Days of Real Food people.  I currently have all three types of "monster cereal" in my pantry.  However, I still maintain that (almost) any food you cook at home for your family is still healthier than prepared, processed food purchased elsewhere.  I do my best to plan for meals that are as wholesome as possible.  Mind you, I'm typing this blog as I bake cupcakes and a vat of macaroni and cheese for a gathering.  Hey.  I never said I was trying to be perfect...just trying to be the best me I can!

Last week's meal plan was a huge winner.  $116 in groceries for the week, that includes breakfasts and packed lunches, along with our meals.  Nothing went to waste, and we all felt great!  This week started out a little more pricey, but I still have hopes for a good week.  (I'm just going to keep the bill for the party food separate).  The first meal of the week came from my new subscription to Rachel Ray's magazine.  I'm very pleased with this purchase, the first edition is riddled with my little sticky recipe markers...it should keep me busy for awhile!  I noted two fish chowders, and had planned on making the first one I found, until I saw "Thai" in the second recipe's title. We love Thai in this house.  Evie constantly asks for "spicy chicken," which is a chicken in coconut red curry sauce.  This Thai fish chowder had coconut milk, green curry, and cilantro.  SOLD!  However, we like a little more flavor and kick than what the original recipe offered, so I will reproduce Rachel Ray's recipe below, but with our changes.

Thai Fish Chowder

adapted from EveryDay with Rachel Ray 
EveryDay Easy Meals ©2012 Meredith Corporation
  • One package Thai rice noodles
  • Boiling water
  • 2 cans coconut milk
  • 3 tablespoons Thai green curry paste (or, more if you'd like. I think my husband wishes we had put the entire bottle in)
  • 1 to 1 1/2 pound cod (the recipe called for tilapia...we don't eat tilapia, so I tried cod) - cut into 1- to 2- inch pieces.
  • 1 package coleslaw vegetable mix
  • 2 limes.  1 juiced and 1 cut into wedges for serving
  • 1/2 cup cleaned cilantro leaves

1. Boil water, pour over rice noodles, let sit for 8-10 minutes, drain, and set aside.

2. In a large saucepan, whisk together 3 cups of water, the 2 cans of coconut milk, curry paste (to taste), and 1 teaspoon salt. (we added A LOT of salt at the table, I suggest adding a dash of fish sauce...that's what we're going to try next time).  Bring the sauce to a simmer over medium-high heat.

3. Stir in the fish and coleslaw veggies and simmer until the fish is opaque and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lime juice.

4. Divide noodles among the bowls and ladle the chowder over.  Top with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.

This was so simple and SO good, I'm sure it will be repeated.  It probably took 20 minutes, tops, from start to finish.  Great quick meal for those busy nights!!! 



Comments

Popular Posts