Annual St. Patty's Day Feast, 2014 Edition: Braised Brussels Sprouts



 Two years ago I received one of my first Cuisine at home magazines.  In just the first few pages there was a set of recipes for "Bringing the Pub Home."  We were all in.  I blogged about that weekend, with a few pictures, in March 2012.  I did not however, share the recipes.  I think I still feel funny about typing up recipes, I'd much rather link you to their sites.  However, as mentioned back then, Cuisine at home is more like a reference cookbook instead of a magazine.  You cannot find their recipes online...at least, I cannot find the ones I'm looking to share.

Every year since that year (so I guess this is our third gathering), we have had a St. Patrick's Day weekend of food and fun.  Lots of cooking, catching up, bringing friends to church with us, and squeezing in hosting the local runner's club Sunday club run.  I love it.  I love having friends pop in and out, catching up with their lives, giggling over stories from the past, and eating until our bellies hurt.   I caught myself smiling this morning (at 7:00 a.m. even mind you) as I chopped vegetables for the braising of the beef...thinking about how my Grandma must have done that every Sunday that we would go over for a big dinner after church.

HARRC Sunday Club Run March 2014

Earlier today I posted two pictures of the beginning stages of their Braised Brussels Sprouts.  I think the response was one of the bigger ones I've received lately on a food post.  Over Brussels Sprouts.  I love my friends.  At any rate, I promised a blog at least one of the recipes we made this weekend, and I think based on that, it will be the one for the sprouts.  True to form, we had two nights (or, days) of recipes.  Day one was fish cakes, rarebit, and a friend made a yummy braised red cabbage with apples and bacon.  It was topped off by her husband's Guinness cupcakes with Jameson and Bailey's icing (they made separate non-boozy treats for the little one, so so thoughtful!).  Day two was our homemade corned beef, mashed potatoes (brilliantly suggested addition by my husband), and the most delicious braised Brussels sprouts ever.  I am contentedly stuffed and now happy to share with you the following recipe.


Braised Brussels Sprouts

Cuisine at home, Issue 92, April 2012

Makes 6 servings
Total time: 40 minutes

Cook:

4 strips thick-sliced bacon, diced

Add:

2 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion

Deglaze:

1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
2 tbs whole-grain mustard
1 Fuji apple, cored and diced

Stir in:

4 tbsp unsalted butter, diced
2 tbsp cider vinegar
   salt and black pepper to taste

Cook bacon in a large saute pan over medium heat until crisp, 7-10 minutes.  Transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate, then increase heat to high.

Add Brussels sprouts and onion to drippings and cook until sprouts begin to brown, about 5 minutes; season with salt

Deglaze pan with apple juice, scraping up any browned bits on bottom.  Add mustard, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook sprouts until nearly fork-tender, 6 minutes.  Add diced apple, cover, and cook until tender, 3 minutes.

Stir in butter, vinegar, and bacon, then season with salt and pepper.

Below are pictures from this year's Sunday Dinner feast.  Not going to lie, pretty pleased with the outcome!  The beef was corning for 84 hours, braised for 3, rested for 2, and I think we ate it in 20 minutes.  Plenty of leftovers for Reuben sandwiches and hash this week though!  



Mom? Are you done taking pictures yet? Can we eat?!

Comments

Popular Posts