Easy Fried Brown Rice



I have had a bag of brown rice in my cupboard for about two months.  It was purchased with the theory that I would make a big batch on Sunday, and use it in various dishes throughout the week.  I finally got around to that...on Monday evening.  I know what you are thinking, extra cooking on a MONDAY?!  But really, it cooked while we ate our meal, and while the granola was cooking in the crock pot. I added lime zest, lime juice, and chopped cilantro at the end, which I sort of regretted later because it limited future uses...or so I thought.

Moving on to Tuesday night, I grabbed my It's All Good by Gwyneth Paltrow to see what she does with leftover brown rice (this is where I got the original, big batch of rice, idea from).  She has a delicious looking fried brown rice, with only nori and green onions added.  My daughter is a huge friend rice fan.  In fact, it was the first food she at at a restaurant.  Mark and I took her to Benihana when she was 1 1/2ish.  She became a little frightened of the cooking in front of her, so I moved her to my lap.  All of a sudden this little hand reached up, grabbed some fried rice, and disappeared...and then quickly reappeared for more.  The love affair has not changed.  Her current favorite is from a local sushi place, Miso, one of our favorite restaurants.  Their fried rice has chunks of scrambled egg, something she really enjoys in her rice.  Therefore, I had Gwyneth's recipe for a guide, but I had to embellish to make it "ours."  The kiddo and her Daddy were at dance class (she was dancing, he was waiting...lest there be confusion), so Mama had no helpers.  I didn't really need any, this dish came together in about 10 minutes.  Mind you, the hard part, cooking the rice, had already happened.

Fried Brown Rice

3 cups day-old brown rice (it should be at least a day old; dryer, older rice does better being fried)
3 eggs, whisked with a dash of soy sauce and a dash of toasted sesame seed oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 healthy dashes of ground ginger
Sliced green onion
Toasted Sesame Seed Oil and Soy sauce (for the eggs and for drizzling)
Kosher salt
Canola Oil

Put 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large skillet on medium high heat, add garlic when oil is warm.  After about 1 minute of sauteing, add a couple of dashes of ginger, then add the rice along with a generous pinch of kosher salt.  Stir to combine, and heat until the rice just starts to brown a bit 2-3 minutes.  Push the rice to the side and add the eggs.  Wait until they start to set a bit, then mix the lot as the eggs scramble.  Cook until eggs are set, drizzle with sesame oil, soy sauce, and sprinkle in half of the onions.  Stir, plate, top with remaining onions, and enjoy!

I cannot tell you if it reheats well, because we ate it all up that night! There were small hints of the cilantro and lime, but they worked in this application.


Comments

Popular Posts