Almond Crusted Flounder with Radicchio, Baby Lettuce, and Fennel Salad

I always get thrown off my weekly game after a busy weekend.  Or, in this case, a weekend trip away.  Don't get me wrong, I love that we have busy, full, lives, but yikes, two nights close together where I fed my daughter either cereal or bananas with peanut butter is not cool.  It's probably no longer cool to say "not cool", but I digress. 

Here are exhibits A and B.  I already explained the meals.  I have no answer for the earmuffs. 



Today I had a little time after a meeting to hit the grocery store on the way home.  I had absolutely no plan other than I wanted some sort of fish.  Being that the flounder was the only wild caught / decent looking, I went with that.  I then backtracked to the produce section for accompaniments.  I knew I was doing rice, but what else?!  The fennel beckoned, so along with that came baby lettuce and radicchio.  Okay.  Lemons makes sense.  Then I thought about the judges on Chopped, I needed a crunch on the fish...maybe a nut?  Hey! Almonds!  So,  I bought roasted, salted almonds, gave them a whirl in the Vitamix, and there's my crust for the fish!  The cobbled together, no recipe meal turned out great, I was very happy, and so were the kiddo and hubs.  Nice to know I haven't completely lost it, and hoping to get back to meal planning next week!


Almond Crusted Flounder with Radicchio and Fennel Salad over Rice

1 lb Flounder, rinsed
1/2 cup roasted, salted almonds, crushed in food processor or blender
1/2 cup Vegenaise or Mayonnaise
Zest of one lemon
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Chopped lettuce, 2 cups
Chopped fennel bulb, 1/2 cup
Chopped radicchio, 1 cup

Basmati Rice, 1 cup uncooked
Olive oil, 2 tbsp
Kosher salt

for dressing:
1/2 cup Vegenaise or Mayonnaise
Chopped fennel fronds (approx 1 tbsp)
Pinch kosher salt
Lemon zest
Fresh Lemon juice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Rinse flounder filets in cold water.  Dredge in mixture of Vegenaise and lemon zest and juice from first ingredient section, then press into crushed almond.  Place on parchment paper lined baking sheets, bake for 15 - 20 minutes.

Saute rice in heated oil over semi-high heat.  Add 1 and 3/4 cups water after toasting rice, bring to boil, cover, turn heat off...leave for 20 minutes. 

Clean lettuce, radicchio, and fennel (we gave it a spin in our salad spinner).  Dress with dressing mixture.

Lay fish over rice and dress with freshly squeezed lemon.  Add salad to other part of plate.

We drank unsweeted brewed iced tea with our meal, it paired nicely. (the little one added some honey to her tea)

Enjoy, and, Happy Eating!!!

Comments

Popular Posts