Pork Chops Hungarian



I love this time of year.  All of my magazines have pictures of festive pumpkins, ideas for fall decorations, and recipes perfect for warm family evenings.  As much as I love that we sit down to dinner as a family (nearly) every evening year round, I love it even more when it isn't 100 degrees out and all I want to do is sit in an ice bath.  Now that the weather is turning cooler, I have celebrated by turning to some old favorites.  This one in particular is one my mother taught me, that she learned as a young bride in 1970.  There was a popular cookbook in the 1950s "Dinner for Two" that this recipe came out of, and she shared it with me.   Well, she shared the recipe, but she still won't let me have the book...  I was so excited to find one of Betty Crocker's Dinner for Two books on my own, but it was a "new" one (1979) and no longer had this particular recipe.  That's okay, it is photocopied from Mom's and in my trusty recipe binder.

This was, in fact, one of the earliest meals I cooked for Mark in our first home.  I drug it back out last week, it worked well for our little family + leftovers for lunch the next day.  I didn't really even double it, more like eyeballed the amounts...which really isn't helpful to some readers, and I apologize for that.  I'm the less scientific cook in the house...more precise execution comes from the Husband.  In my defense, most of my family recipes have things like "add peanut butter to taste" or "just a pinch of salt."  At any rate, this is delicious over broad egg noodles...something I haven't bought in over two years.  Everything is whole wheat, sprouted grains, rice, etc. around here.  However, I may have given up a lot of old comfort foods, but once in awhile, it just feels good to have an old stand-by.  This is just as good over rice, but given the fact that the next two evening's meals had rice in the plan, I got my PA Dutch Egg Noodles! (hey. it's the little things in life, okay?!).

Pork Chops Hungarian

adapted from Betty Crocker's Dinner for Two recipe book.

2 loin pork chops, 3/4-inch thick
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon dried dillweed
Dash of garlic powder
1/2 cup water

1/3 cup dairy sour cream


Trim fat from chops. Brown chops in small amount of hot shortening in skillet; drain off excess fat.  Combine onion, caraway seed, salt, paprika, dillweed, garlic powder, and water; add to skillet.  Cover and cook over medium heat for 1 hour or til pork chops are tender.  Transfer chops to warm platter.  Stir sour cream into meat drippings in skillet.  Heat through but do not boil.  Spoon sauce over chops [and noodles or rice].  Makes 2 servings. 

Cookin' Mama Notes:
I used four organic (therefore smaller) pork chops, probably 1/2 teaspoon of each seasoning, and closer to 3/4 cups water.  The sour cream sauce was a hit with everyone, and even though it was all incorporated the next day in my leftovers, it was still super tasty when reheated.

Comments

Popular Posts