Happy Birthday to ME! and the State of Live Theatre....

Yesterday was the 34th anniversary of my birth. It was also my first birthday as a Mommy! We went out together for the 2nd time since bringing Peanut home. I know, I know, we need to get out more, find a babysitter, blah, blah, blah...

Now to the second part of this blog: My birthday present from Mark was tickets to see a show at Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse. Allenberry was also celebrating an anniversary, this season is it's 60th. Many wonderful actors have performed there over the years. I've seen a few shows over the years, and remember them as being enjoyable (except for one horrid evening the Lauren and I will forever wonder what we did to deserve...). I also remember the seats being sold out or close to sold out. We went to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (one of my absolute favorites). It was opening night, and the house was practically empty! For those of you who do not know, Joseph has about 10-15 children in the cast. All of the children in this show were local actors. Think about it. If you have 10 children, think about how many audience members they should generate alone. When I did shows as a kid in high school, opening night for me brought about 8-10 people. By my calculations (remember, for me, math sucks - so this is approximate!) there should have been at least 100 people in that audience. Hubby thinks there were about 50 audience members including us (he's REALLY good with math, so we'll take him at his word). Was the show incredible? No. Was it horrible? No. I've seen billboards around our area for the current season, so the advertisements are there. Joseph is a crowd pleaser, this isn't some out-there piece of theatre that Central Pennsylvanians wouldn't understand (believe me, it doesn't take much for something to be out of the reach of understanding around here). Perhaps my disappointment isn't with Allenberry, but the people of this area...AND the relations/friends of the poor children on that stage. I wanted to hug all of children's chorus. Then I wanted to hand them brochures for my friend's Theatre Academy. They'd have fun, learn a lot, and I know she'd be cheering for them at least!

Comments

Manic Mommy said…
Happy Birthday, Buddy. And a bad night at the theatre is always better than a good night with reality TV.
Adie said…
Thanks for writing this.

Popular Posts