Cool Book Meme

Jenn over at Juggling Life has a really cool post about books. I too was a voracious reader growing up...still am (still reading AND still growing up). My mother owns what really does amount to a library's worth of mystery stories - I think she's up to about 1500 books. We were never denied books when we asked for them...I still have my entire Nancy Drew series, all ready to hand over to Petunia when she's ready. We'd go to the beach for a week as kids, my suitcase would have 7 books, one for each day.


One thing I do have to say is that I've never been big on reading the hot books, I read to be entertained and to get away. My husband introduced me to books I would have never otherwise read, suddenly the bookcases had double the amount of books when we moved in together, so, I read them! I still prefer my more "girly" books to his WWII histories, philosophy books, and Stephen King novels. So, here we go:



1. List three books you’ve always meant to read, but haven’t gotten around to reading.
2. Share the two books that changed your life.
3. Recommend the one book you’ve been talking about since the very first day you’ve read it.


1. My three books are:

Anything by Agatha Christie, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and Kathy Reichs. The first two because, well, given I'm such a mysteries fan, it stands to reason that I should read the grandmother and grandfather of the genre. Kate at Kate's Mystery Bookstore in Cambridge, MA (a great place - I've picked up a few signed first edition books there over the years) tried to get me to read Kathy Reichs a number of years ago. For some reason, I just could not get into her...and since then have become a fan of Bones, the series based on her books/life.


2. The two books that changed my life:










Little House on the Prairie - actually, the entire series. I'm not kidding. As a little girl it really opened my eyes, not only to how the world used to be, but that there was a "used to be." One of the imagination exercises we did was to imagine either myself in Laura's time OR how Laura would react if she was suddenly transported to our time. If I get stuck in a long line, I still wonder about that.

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant is a beautiful story of mothers and daughters. It is the imagined life of the daughter of Jacob. I think becoming a mother to a daughter made this story even more real for me. I don't know what it is about this book, but I could read it over and over.



3. My book to recommend, after the two above (seriously, pick up The Red Tent - it is a great read) would have to be: The Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank...mainly because it's just so darn entertaining. Second runner up: Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris...because he's just so wrong, and so funny.

Comments

Bryden78 said…
Ok so I am obviously catching up on your blog. I too was obsessed with the Little house books. I had them all categorized and made people sign them out if they borrowed them! I was also Laura Ingalls for Halloween in 1st grade.

Popular Posts